BANH MI STYLE GRILLED TOFU SANDWICH WITH CHIPOTLE PEANUT BUTTER SAUCE
This is our version of the classic vietnamese Bánh mì sandwich. Sweet, salty, slightly spicy and crunchy; it is definitely a crowd pleaser.
Notes : Most of the components can be prepared ahead of time : the pickled veggies, the tofu marinade and the peanut sauce – simply grill the tofu and assemble when ready to eat.INGREDIENTS
Makes 2-3 portionsFor the quick-pickled vegetables
- 1 ½ tsp sea saltFor the tofu
- 1 clove garlic, pressedFor the peanut sauce
- Sea salt, to tasteFor the sandwiches
- Optional: Sriracha sauce
- Place the julienne carrots, sliced cucumber and sliced jalapeño (if using) in a large glass jar, pressing lightly to pack them. In a bowl or measuring cup, combine the warm water, rice vinegar, sugar and salt and mix well to dissolve. Pour over the vegetables, making sure they are all covered with liquid. Let cool and pickle for at least 15-20 minutes before using. The pickled veggies can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge; their flavour will develop even more after a few hours, even after a day or two.
- Wrap the block of tofu in a clean tea towel and place on a plate. Then put something heavy on top (a heavy pan or pot works well) and let it press to remove excess moisture while you prepare the marinade. In a small bowl, combine the tamari, maple syrup, rice vinegar and garlic. Slice the tofu into ½-inch thick pieces. Place in a shallow dish and cover with the marinade. Let marinate while you prepare the peanut sauce, tossing and flipping the pieces occasionally.
- In a blender, combine the Peanut Maple Chipotle Butter, coconut milk, garlic, lime zest and lime juice, sesame oil and tamari, and blend on high until you get a smooth and creamy sauce. Taste, season with salt if needed and blend again. Transfer the sauce in a small bowl and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Set a large pan over medium heat. Grill the marinated tofu pieces until browned and even charred on some parts, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Set aside.
- Use the same pan to lightly toast the bread, about 1-2 minutes.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread each piece of bread with the peanut sauce. Add a few pieces of grilled tofu, a pile of the crunchy pickled vegetables, and a generous handful of cilantro. If desired, add a few drops of sriracha sauce. Serve immediately.