SPRING ROLLS WITH PEANUT SAUCE
These Spring rolls are loaded with fresh herbs, crunchy vegetables, sweet mango, rice noodles, and served with a delicious peanut dipping sauce. Light, fresh and full of flavours; they make the perfect Spring or Summer meal.
You can easily adapt the filling by using ingredients you have on hand. Cucumber, shredded red cabbage, radishes, lettuce leaves or avocado would all work well. For extra protein, feel free to add grilled tofu sticks, tempeh or edamame. The peanut sauce is great with all type of asian-inspired dishes, so feel free to double the portion and to use it throughout the week.INGREDIENTS
Makes about 8-10 rollsPeanut Sauce
- ½ tsp sambal oelek or more to taste (optional)Spring rolls
- In a small bowl, mix together the peanut sauce ingredients. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Place the julienned carrots in a small bowl. Add the salt, rice vinegar and mix well with a fork. Set aside to pickle.
- In a bowl, cover the vermicelli with boiling water and let soak for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse thoroughly under cold water. Set aside.
- In a shallow bowl of hot water, soak a rice paper to soften for about 15 to 20 seconds. Remove from the water, and place on a clean work surface.
- Layer mint leaves, basil leaves and a handful of cilantro in the center of the wrap. Then, add a few slices of red pepper, mango, pickled carrots, green onions and tofu (if using). Add a handful of rice vermicelli on top, and garnish with some chopped peanuts and shoots (if using). Make sure to leave about an inch on each side of the rice paper.
- Gently fold the left and right side in, then fold the bottom towards the center, and roll up tightly. Repeat with the remaining rolls until all the ingredients are used up.
- Cover the rolls with a damp cloth to prevent them from drying out, until they are ready to serve.
- Cut the rolls in half if desired and serve with the peanut sauce.