CREAMY CASHEW SESAME MUSHROOM MISO RAMEN
The key to this creamy, savoury, umami ramen is blending some of the cooked mushrooms along with our Cashew Toasted Sesame Butter. This adds body, richness and incredible flavour to the broth.INGREDIENTS
Makes 4 servingsFor the ramen
- 20 oz. (600 g.) ramen noodles
For serving (suggested)
- Separate the green part of the green onions from the white part. Thinly slice the green part and set aside for serving. Roughly chop the white part.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat. When hot, add the chopped green onions, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring often, until the green onions and garlic start to brown, about 3-4minutes. Add the tomato paste, chili flakes and miso and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring often. You’ll get a thick paste.
- Transfer the tomato and miso paste to a blender jar (or any high-sided container that you can use with an immersion blender) and set aside.
- Return the pot on the stovetop, add 5 cups of cold water and bring to a simmer.
- While the water is warming up, cook the mushrooms.Heat the cooking oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Arrange the mushrooms in a single layer and cook, without touching, until the bottoms are browned, about 3-4 minutes. Stir and continue to cook until the mushrooms are slightly browned all over, about 3 more minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Add the Cashew Toasted Sesame Butter, tamari, rice vinegar and salt to the reserved tomato and miso paste. Add ¼ cup of the cooked mushrooms and about ½ cup of the simmering water from the pot (or more as needed to get the immersion blender going). Blend with an immersion blender until completely smooth (alternatively, you could blend in a regular blender).
- Pour the creamy mixture into the pot of simmering water and stir to combine. Taste. At this point, the broth should be salty and savoury. If it’s a bit bland or lacks flavour, simply add a bit more salt and/or a bit more rice vinegar until it’s perfectly seasoned and very tasty.
- Reduce the heat to low and keep the broth warm (but not simmering) until ready to serve.
- Cook the noodles in boiling water according to package instructions. Drain and divide into four bowls. Pour creamy broth over each bowl of noodles. Top with cooked mushrooms, tofu, toasted nori sheets, or any toppings you might be using. Drizzle a bit of chili oil on top, then sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions.