VEGAN CACIO E PEPE
This dish comes together in less than 15 minutes and only requires 5 ingredients. Our take on the classic Cacio e Pepe pasta is made entirely plant-based and uses our Cashew Butter Sea Salt as the base for this luscious sauce.
INGREDIENTS- 454 g spaghetti (or other pasta of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon (8 g) black peppercorns
- 1/4 cup (50 g) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (75 g) Cashew Butter Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup (25 g) nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons (40 g) white miso
- Sea salt, to taste
- A squeeze of lemon, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Once boiling, add the pasta and cook until just al dente (don’t overcook - the pasta will continue cooking slightly with the sauce). Reserve about 2 cups of the pasta water before draining the pasta.
- Crush the peppercorns in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder. Reserve about ½ teaspoon of crushed peppercorns and add the rest to a small skillet along with the olive oil. Heat the oil until the peppercorns are fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Add the Cashew Butter Sea Salt, nutritional yeast, miso and peppercorn oil to a heatproof bowl or large glass measuring cup and mix well. Add a ladle of pasta water and whisk until fully smooth. Make sure no clumps of miso remain - you can press the sides of the bowl with a spatula to remove any clumps.
- Transfer the cooked pasta back to the pot along with the cashew sauce and place on low heat. Add pasta water, one spoonful at a time, to thin the sauce and continue stirring to emulsify. Add more pasta water as needed until the sauce is glossy and reaches the desired consistency.
- Taste for seasoning; add salt and a squeeze of fresh lemon, to taste.
- Divide the pasta into bowls and garnish with more black pepper.