SMASHED CHICKPEA SALAD SANDWICH
A creamy cashew butter based sauce is used in place of the usual mayonnaise in this vegan chickpea salad sandwich. Packed with flavour from diced celery, scallions, dill pickle, capers, and fresh herbs, this sandwich makes a perfect light and refreshing lunch!
Makes 2-4 portions
For the cashew butter “mayo” sauce
- 3 tbsp (55 g) Cashew Butter Sea Salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp water
For the smashed chickpea sandwich
- 1 can (540 ml) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp diced celery
- 2 tbsp finely sliced scallions
- 2 tbsp finely diced dill pickle
- 1 tbsp relish
- 1 tsp capers, finely chopped
- A few drops of sriracha, or chili peppers, to taste
- 2 tbsp of chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley and/or dill)
- Bread of your choice
- Lettuce and slices of cucumber (optional)
- Place all the ingredients for the cashew butter sauce in a small blender (or use an immersion blender), and blend until smooth and creamy.
- In a medium bowl, use a potato masher or large fork to smash the chickpeas until they are about 80% smashed. Keep some whole chickpeas for texture.
- Add the celery, scallions, dill pickle, relish and capers to the bowl and mix well.
- Pour about ¼ cup of the cashew butter sauce over the chickpea mixture, add sriracha (or chili peppers) to taste. Season generously with black pepper. Stir until everything is evenly coated. Add more of the cashew sauce as needed for a creamier salad.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed by adding more salt. Add fresh herbs and mix again.
- Toast your bread if desired. Assemble your sandwich with the chickpea mixture, lettuce, and slices of cucumber.