CEASAR SALAD WITH GARLICKY PANKO TOPPING
This is our adaptation of the classic Caesar Salad, but without anchovies or dairy products. Our Cashew Butter Sea Salt is the star ingredient here; it creates the smoothness and creamy texture of this dressing.
Served with a crispy garlicky panko topping, this easy-to-make Caesar salad is sure to please everyone.
Makes 5-6 servings
Cashew Ceasar Dressing
- ¼ cup Cashew Butter Sea Salt
- 2 tsp tamari (or soy sauce)
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp capers
- 1-2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup water
Garlicky Panko Topping
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, slightly smashed
- ¾ cup panko (Japanese style breadcrumbs)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves chopped in bite-size pieces, about 5-6 cups packed
- 1 bunch romaine, chopped in bite-size pieces, about 5-6 cups packed
For the Ceasar dressing:
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a Mason-style jar: cashew butter, tamari, Dijon mustard, capers, garlic, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, olive oil, a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper and water. Blend with an immersion blender until smooth and creamy.
- Stop the blender, taste and add more garlic or lemon juice if needed, or add a bit of salt if it lacks seasoning. If the dressing is still too thick, add a bit more water and blend again. It should be creamy but pourable.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the 2 whole garlic cloves in a skillet over low-medium heat. Warm until the garlic is fragrant. Discard the garlic, then add the panko to the pan and toss until it is coated in oil. Cook, stirring often, until the panko is golden brown, about 4 minutes. Season with salt. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
Add the chopped kale leaves to a large salad bowl, and add a spoonful of the caesar dressing. Using your hands, massage the kale until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Add the romaine lettuce. Drizzle a generous amount of the Ceasar dressing on top, and toss well to coat. Top the salad with the garlicky panko and serve.
View step-by-step method here.