A question about our products? We hope this FAQ will help. Still can’t find an answer? Email us!
WHERE CAN I BUY YOUR PRODUCTS?
You can order them right here on the website. It’s a practical way to purchase our products if you unfortunately do not live close to one of our retailers. You can also find them at select retailer stores. To find out about those stores, head over to our “find us” tab!
DO YOU ACCEPT RETURNS OR ISSUE REFUNDS?
We do not accept returns or issue refunds. However, if you have any issues with your product, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org and we will address these on a case-by-case basis.
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO SHIP MY ORDER?
Orders are processed within 2 business days, and can take up to 7 business days to be delivered. These delays can vary during the holidays, or other extraordinary circumstances.
WHAT ARE YOUR SHIPPING RATES?
Flat shipping rates of $5 in Quebec and $7 in Ontario on orders between $50-$99. Shipping rates in all other provinces and countries are based on weight and dimensions of the order.
Free shipping in Canada on orders of $100 and more.
WHAT'S UP WITH YOUR SHIPPING SUPPLIES?
Our shipping supplies, aren’t the cutest because we make sure to repurpose bubble wraps, cushioning peanuts, foam, and craft paper received from our own suppliers when ordering ingredients. It is our goal to reuse as much shipping supplies as we can.
WHY ARE YOUR NUT BUTTERS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN OTHER “NATURAL” PRODUCTS FOUND AT THE GROCERY STORE?
That’s a great question!
1.We pay a fair price for our ingredients.
Paying a fair price means that we source supplies from producers who value environmental sustainability and respect the workers involved. We encourage transparent sourcing and that’s reflected in the price of our ingredients.
2. We produce in small batches
The entirety of our production is made at our Montreal facility. We don’t call upon the services of any third parties to automate our processes and produce larger quantities than needed. This allows us to maximize the freshness of our products (as our inventory turnover rate is very good) as well as develop bolder, more avant-garde flavours that we wouldn’t have the flexibility to produce large scale. That flexibility and the ability to produce smaller scale do come with a price tag, however.
3. We use quality ingredients
Our products are made from carefully selected ingredients. We don’t use any stabilizers or food additives that would reduce our production costs.
WHERE ARE YOUR PRODUCTS MADE?
Our products are all made in small batches in our Montreal facility.
CAN I PICK UP MY ORDER AT YOUR FACILITY?
For the time being, our production space is unfortunately not conducive for pick ups.
ARE YOUR PRODUCTS ORGANIC?
We don’t have organic certification, but most of the ingredients that go into making our products are organic.
WHY DON’T YOU USE STRICTLY ORGANIC INGREDIENTS?
Some producers with whom we partner manage small, family-owned plantations that simply don’t have the means to seek out organic certification. In any case, we ensure that our suppliers’ production methods exclude the use of any products considered harmful to human health or the environment.
HOW CAN WE IDENTIFY THE ORGANIC INGREDIENTS IN YOUR PRODUCTS?
The organic ingredients are identified in the list of ingredients.
ARE YOUR PRODUCTS RAW?
No. Our nuts are first dry roasted at a low temperature, after which they are ground.
ARE YOUR PRODUCTS VEGAN?
Yes. Our products are all vegan.
ARE YOUR PRODUCTS GLUTEN-FREE?
Our products do not contain gluten, but our facility is not certified gluten-free.
HOW SHOULD I USE YOUR NUT BUTTERS?
We’ve shared a few suggestions and creative tips here!
IS IT POSSIBLE TO KNOW THE ORIGIN OF THE NUTS YOU USE?
Of course! You’ll find the origin of the nuts below each product description.
MUST I STORE THE NUT BUTTER IN THE REFRIGERATOR ONCE OPENED?
No. Ideally, you want to keep your jar in the pantry, which will make the nut butter easier to spread.
MUST I STIR THE NUT BUTTER BEFORE USING IT?
Yes. It’s preferable to stir the nut butter for a better distribution of the oil and other ingredients. Stirring will ensure you get a perfect consistency!
DO YOU USE BLANCHED ALMONDS?
No. Our almonds are dry roasted with their skins, as they are high in fibre. They also taste best (though that’s purely subjective)!
IS THERE ANY ADDED SUGAR IN YOUR NUT BUTTERS?
Yes, but only in certain products. In such cases, we use organic maple sugar (from Quebec).
ARE THERE ADDED OILS IN YOUR NUT BUTTERS?
For taste and texture purposes, some of our nut butters (not all!) contain added oils.
IS OIL SEPARATION NORMAL?
Yes it is! Oil separation occurs with natural products, since no food stabilizers are used. Just give your nut butter a stir, and you are good to go!
IS WHITE LAYER ON TOP OF THE PEANUT CHOCOLATE + SEA SALT BUTTER NORMAL?
When natural oils separate, the cocoa butter which is naturally found in 100% dark chocolate can separate, solidify and turn white. Though it isn’t aesthetically pleasing, the nut butter is safe to eat. You can simply give it a good stir, and the oil will re-incorporate into the butter.
HOW CAN I USE SPRINKLES?
Easy peasy! Simply sprinkle them on your favourite dishes.
HOW SHOULD I STORE MY JAR OF SPRINKLES?
We recommend storing it in a cool and dry place.
DOES THE NUT PAR*M MELT IN THE OVEN?
No. Since our blend is made from cashews and nutritional yeast, this product will not melt in the oven like a traditional parmesan cheese. It is best when used as a condiment, that is, by sprinkling it on your food, just before serving it.
WHAT CONCRETE ACTIONS ARE YOU TAKING FOR THE ENVIRONMENT?
- Our products are offered in reusable and recyclable glass containers. Whether it be to store your spices, dressings or sauces, our little jars are multipurpose (and quite frankly, adorable!)
- We reuse existing packaging materials as best we can to ship out orders (cushioning, polystyrene beads, foam, bubble wrap and kraft paper, etc.)
- We offer vegan products.
- Our promotional materials are kept to a minimum. We don’t use business cards, explanatory brochures or unnecessary gift wrapping.
- Whenever possible, we try to include Quebec products in our recipes. An example of this would be Érablière Caséal’s maple sugar, which is found in many of our products.
- We recycle the cardboard boxes in which our ingredients are delivered and we select, to the extent possible, containers that can be sent back to suppliers once used. That’s the case with Caséal’s maple sugar, which is delivered in reusable buckets.
- Thanks to our partner Umano, our access to the cashew nut supply chain is more direct than the industry average. Cashew nuts from the Coopake cooperative (Umano’s partner for cashews) are harvested and transformed at the same location. This implies that they’ve travelled a shorter distance prior to their final destination in our small jars. Rather than take a detour to another continent to be processed, they make a single journey, directly from Burkina Faso to Quebec. As you’ve probably guessed, that isn’t the industry standard. For instance, more than 90% of cashew nuts are packed up in the location where they’re grown, only to be shipped off to India, Vietnam or Brazil. Once there, they are hulled and mixed with local nuts, and then resold in Europe and North America.
ARE YOUR PRODUCTS AVAILABLE IN BULK?
At present, our products aren’t available in bulk, as this type of distribution is difficult to implement without compromising the integrity of the products. Given that we don’t use any stabilizers or preservatives, our nut butters must be stirred before each use so as to avoid the oil floating to the top of the jar. This ensures you’ll get a smooth, creamy texture. That’s more difficult to monitor, however, when many customers serve themselves from the same container.
ARE YOU NEVERTHELESS CONCERNED ABOUT THE NEED TO REDUCE INDIVIDUAL PACKAGING?
Absolutely! We now own a bulk dispenser that may be used at future events we’ll be attending. We’re also considering the possibility of making this dispenser available at certain points of sale on a case-by-case basis. Don’t hesitate to reach out for more information about this.
CAN I RETURN THE GLASS JARS FOR YOU TO REUSE?
Unfortunately, our current production space does not allow us to receive, wash and sterilize used jars. We encourage you to reuse the jars at home. They are a great option for storing sauces, salad dressings or can even be used as glasses for serving your favourites beverages. They are also recyclable.