CREAMY LEMON PASTA WITH ASPARAGUS
This easy, creamy plant-based pasta requires just a few ingredients and comes together in less than 30 minutes. Use asparagus when they’re in season in May-June,or other green veggies (broccoli, zucchini, Brussel sprouts, etc.) the rest of the year.
Makes 4 servings
- ¼ cup (70 g.) of NUT CHEE*SE
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small lemons
- 1 bunch asparagus (600 g./15 large asparagus spears)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A big handful of baby arugula
- 400 g. long pasta (linguine, fettuccine or spaghetti)
- Optional : Nutritional yeast and chili flakes, for serving
1. Add NUT CHEE*SE, garlic, and two tablespoons of olive oil to a blender. Grate the lemon to get one teaspoon of zest and squeeze to get two table spoons of juice. Add to the blender, reserving the extra lemon. Pulse to combine and set aside.
2. Snap the tough ends of the asparagus spears. If they are large, slice each spear in half lengthwise if needed, then cut diagonally into one-inch pieces.
3. Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the asparagus to the pan and season generously with salt and pepper. Let them sear for a few minutes until lightly browned but still crisp. Add the baby arugula along with a squeeze of lemon juice and remove from the heat.
4. Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente.
5. Just before draining the pasta, scoop out about 1 ¼ cups of pasta water. Add ¾ cup of pasta water to the blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
6. Once drained, return pasta to the pot, then stir in the creamy sauce. Toss and add a bit more pasta water to thin out as needed. The sauce will thicken quickly as it cools, so it’s best to lean towards a thinner consistency at this point.
7. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed by adding more salt and/or more lemon juice.
8. Add about half of the asparagus and arugula mixture to the pasta and toss well.
9. Divide pasta among bowls, then top with the remaining asparagus. Season generously with black pepper, then garnish with lemon zest and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast and chili flakes, if using. Serve immediately.