APPLE AND MAPLE PECAN BUTTER THUMBPRINT BREAKFAST COOKIES
These breakfast cookies are delicious, nourishing, and have an irresistible Maple Pacan Butter center. They make a great grab-and-go breakfast or snack.
Makes 12 cookies
- ¾ cup (80 g.) almond flour
- 1 cup (100 g.) rolled oats
- 3 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 large apple, shredded - ½ cup (100 g.) shredded
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil (or other neutral-tasting oil)
- 2 tbsp oat milk (or other plant-based milk)
- 2 tbsp Maple Pecan Butter + 2-3 tbsp for filling
- 6 pecan halves, sliced in half, for topping
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with a silicon mat or parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: almond flour, rolled oats, ground flax seeds, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
3. Add the shredded apple, maple syrup, melted oil, milk, and 2 tablespoons of Maple Pecan Butter. Mix well to combine and let the dough rest for 6-7 minutes, giving time for the flax seeds to bind the ingredients together. The flax seeds will absorb a part of the moisture and the dough will thicken slightly.
4. Form 12 cookies (about the size of a golf ball) and place on the prepared baking sheet. Flatten slightly with your hand to the desired shape (the cookies won’t spread much in the oven). Use your thumb or finger to make an indent in the center of each cookie (a small hole that will be filled with the Maple Pecan Butter after baking). Slightly press a small piece of pecan into each cookie to garnish.
5. Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes, or until the cookies look firm and are slightly golden around the edges. Remove from the oven and let sit on the baking sheet for a few minutes to firm up before transferring to a cooling rack. When ready to serve, fill each thumbprint with Maple Pecan Butter.